Blog about Logging Equipment and Forestry Canada

The first electric logging truck has just been delivered to Sweden and can carry up to 80 tonnes of wood

The transportation industry continues to electrify, gradually covering all distances and all types of cargo. The latest? Scania, with a first timber transport truck.

A subsidiary of the Traton Group, which itself belongs to the Volkswagen group, Scania AB may have more than 110 years of experience in the field of commercial vehicles, but it only started to embark on the electrified path very recently with the presentation of a first regional transport truck. But the Swedish brand has just made history by delivering the very first electric logging truck in the world to its compatriots at Svenska Cellulosa AB (SCA), the largest European private forest owner.

It was developed in close collaboration with this very important customer in order to best meet its colossal needs since 2.6 million hectares of woodland belong to it in northern Sweden. And this will allow him to finish separating from his dependence on fossil fuels, which he already does at 96%! This remaining 4% is the most difficult to obtain because it concerns the heaviest transports and this is exactly what the newcomer does.